Tuesday 2 August 2011

Notre Dame, Calais, France

We went on holiday to Dover this year, and so Nina (pictured) and I popped over to France for a day (as we were the only ones with valid passports. Notre Dame there is neither as stunning nor as well known as its Parisian namesake, but it's still a beautiful building. The inside was very busy, and no-one else seemed to be taking photos so I didn't either (save a subtle click for the one below).Outside the church there is a helpful panel which explains a bit more about the building and it's conveniently been translated into English as well as being in French. Here's a quick snap of that.

I must admit that I'm fascinated by gargoyles and grotesques, but the frustrating thing is always trying to get a decent shot of one. Of those outside these were the best I could do.

Thankfully there was one, which had presumably fallen off at some point, standing up inside the church and it gave me a chance to get a closer look at these usually out of sight objects.

No comments:

Post a Comment